Van Schaick Mansion

Van Schaick (Half Moon) Treaty

We believe Isaac Van Schaick who married our Eliza Sanderson (daughter of John Sanderson and Margaret Whitfield) was a member of the Van Schaick family that emigrated from Holland to America circa 1649.

Goosen Gerritsen Van Schaick was a brewer in what is now Albany County, N.Y. He was acting Indian Commissioner in New Netherlands. Goosen Van Schaick and Philip Pieterse Schuyler (Peter’s first wife was Engeltie Van Schaick, daughter of Goosen) purchased land from the Algonquin Indians for one bushel of wheat. It was known as the Half Moon Patent, but no formal documentation was made at that time (September 11, 1665). Schuyler sold (or gave) his interest in the patent to Goosen in 1674 at which time the boundaries were also formalized. Governor Dongan confirmed the Patent on May 31, 1687, in consideration of an annual quit rent of one bushel of winter wheat. Disputes on land boundaries continued at least until 1795. (NY Laws, 18 Sess, 175, C. 57), The original land patent included all the land lying between the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers. It included several islands, as well as, the present town of Waterford.

It is believed that Goosen never lived on the property. Goosen Van Schaick died in 1676 and willed the property to his wife, who later passed it on to their son, Anthony Van Schaick. Anthony built a large home on a small island at the mouth of the Mohawk river where it meets the Hudson circa 1755. It now is considered one of the most historic homes in New York State. Because of its accessible location it became a military headquarters during three wars, the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812. The Battle of Saratoga was planned here. The home was New York’s State capital for four days.

Anthony’s will provided that there be a cemetery placed on the property. It was placed at the side of the house. Five generations of Van Schaick family are buried there. Photos of the Cemetery.

The mansion is now under the care of General Peter Gansevoort Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and is open for tours as a museum, library and exhibit area by appointment. For more information on the Van Schaick mansion (and tour information) see the website..

For photos and more history on the mansion see the Van Schaick Mansion

Add A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Copyright © 2008 - Sanderson Pierce O'Driscoll Families - is proudly powered by WordPress
Site maintained by Ellen M. Rohr, Linking Your Past Research Service